Ensuring continued safe, reliable service while responding to COVID-19 Coronavirus
As the world reacts to the COVID-19 Coronavirus, and as we deal with the first cases here in Manitoba, I want you to know that Manitoba Hydro is taking proactive steps to ensure the continued reliable delivery of hydropower to our customers across the US Midwest and Canada, while also protecting the safety and health of our employees and the communities we serve.
Based on the latest information available from public health authorities, we have implemented the following measures:
- Identifying critical staff in all of our generation and transmission facilities, and ensuring backup personnel are available and that we can operate our facilities remotely if required;
- Suspending all non-essential work where our employees are required to enter an occupied residence (such as meter exchanges, electrical inspections, natural gas inspections, leak surveys, meter readings, and disconnections) in our domestic market to prevent disease transmission;
- Cancelling all non-essential employee business travel outside of Canada;
- Requiring all employees returning from personal travel to any location outside of Canada to self-isolate for 14 days before returning to work;
- Promoting use of teleconferences, videoconferencing and other technology to replace face-to-face and group meetings, reducing the risk of transmission in the workplace;
- Restricting access to key facilities to reduce the opportunity for the virus to spread.
We are cleaning and disinfecting all of our facilities and offices intensely and frequently, along with increased promotion of the actions employees can take personally, such as social distancing and frequent handwashing, to help protect themselves and their coworkers.
We are prepared and taking action
The situation around the world is evolving rapidly, but our commitment to you remains unchanged. We take our responsibility to ensure the ongoing, safe delivery of reliable, renewable hydropower to our customers very seriously.
We are prepared for a pandemic and we have emergency plans in place. We also have experienced, expert response teams to ensure the continuity of our operations and essential services across our province, from our generating stations to our control facilities and transmission network.
You have our assurance that we are continuing to monitor new developments and will implement appropriate additional steps as warranted over the coming weeks.
President & CEO, Manitoba Hydro